OK… so maybe I have a little thing going on for Italian food! I swear it’s my best friend’s fault and her name is Katherine Pagaaaannnnoooo * I just tried to pronounce it in her voice, not the same, I miss her and Italy and her cooking is so far away*… anyways, I digress! I decided to try this recipe because the seasonings looked about right! Am I the only one who chooses recipes based on what the seasonings look like? Show of hands!? *bunch of weirdos* 😀
This recipe turned out delicious and my small family of four devoured a meal made for 8! Well I guess if I didn’t starve them half to death while I took pics, I might have had some left overs for lunch! Here’s the recipe, have at it! Bon Apetite or whatever! *insert weird hand gestures*
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 (14.5-oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic
- 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
- ½ (6-oz) can tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 16 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 oz fresh grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb dried pasta (ziti or penne are best)
- 3 cups water
- 1 (8-oz) package shredded Italian cheese blend ( I used half and it was plenty cheesy)
- basil, for garnish
- In a large skillet over high heat, brown sausage, about 10 minutes. (I drain the oil to cut down on the fat)
- Add tomatoes, sauce, paste, Italian seasoning, dried pasta, and water. Stir to combine, cover and bring to a boil. Boil until pasta is al dente.
- Meanwhile; combine ricotta, parmesan cheese, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir until well incorporated.
- Stir ricotta mixture into pasta. Preheat oven to broil. Top skillet with shredded cheese and place in oven. Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden brown. Keep a close eye on it or you will have crispy cheese pretty quick.
- Garnish with basil and serve. Easy peasy!