For a long time I caught myself in a food rut, I would make the same thing every other week and even though the food tasted good we were all getting a little bored. If I left it up to my 4 year old, he would eat pizza every night and not complain * then again, who would?!*. So I decided to try one new recipe every week to break up the monotony.
This week I though I would try this Basil Pesto recipe from Sally’s Baking Addiction. I made a couple of changes because my poor little basil plant looked a bit naked after I picked a cup’s worth of leaves 😀
I mixed the pesto with penne and grilled some chicken breasts, my son made a salad and we had a quick and easy dinner! It was very tasty and both kids thought it was so cool to eat alien green pasta 😀
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (i used toasted walnuts)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves roasted garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and fresh ground pepper
- Blend the basil, spinach, pine nuts, cheese, and garlic together in a food processor or blender. Pour oil in slowly while still mixing (or a little at a time, then mix, then more oil, then mix again, etc). Scrape down the sides, then add lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Pulse until everything is blended together and relatively smooth. Taste and add more salt/pepper if desired.