I’ve been making this recipe for years and it’s the softest homemade bread ever! ♥️
- 1/4 oz dry yeast
- 1/2 cup water (warm)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsps salt
- 2 cups milk (warm)
- 2 1/2 tbsps shortening
- 6-7 cups AP or bread flour
- 1/8-1/4 cup butter
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water, let sit about 10 mins
- In a large bowl combine sugar, salt, 2 cups of milk and shortening.
- Stir in yeast mixture
- Gradually add flour to make a soft dough
- Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth
- Place in a greased bowl and cover and let rise about two hours
- Punch down and divide into 2 portions to form loaves
- Place in greased 9×5 loaf pans and prick tops with a fork
- Cover and let rise until higher than pans (about 2 hours)
- Bake at 375F for about 25-30 mins.
- Cool for ten mins and rub butter all over the tops of loaves
- Place pans on sides until loosened, then remove bread from pans and cool completely.