Here we have my favorite Indian sweet with a Caribbean twist, goolab jamoon. The fragrant, rich dough is heavenly. It’s the second sweet that I learned make from my mama *grandmother*. Now I’ve visited a couple Indian restaurants in the US and whenever I order the goolab jamoon I get something totally different! It’s these round balls soaked in syrup. Which leads me to believe that the recipe must have changed on its way to the Caribbean from India.
Nevertheless both are deliciously sweet and I can easily eat them all in one sitting 😂😂
1 cup butter
4 cups flour
1 tsp ground cardamom
1/2 cup powdered milk
1 can condensed milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk
1 cup oil for frying
2 cups white sugar
1 tsp grated ginger
4 cups water
1. Rub butter into the flour, cardamom and powdered milk until crumbly
2. Add the other milks to the flour and knead lightly to combine. * Or use a food processor with dough blade*
3. Form almond shapes about 2 inches long and deep fry until golden brown
4. Boil sugar, ginger and water to a thick syrup (it should spin a thread when the spoon is raised)
5. Pour syrup over the fried goolab jamoon and stir continuously until the sugar crystallizes .
SOOOO… no dessert?! what to do? Chocolate cake in the microwave in less than five minutes and minimal clean up?!? What?!? YES PLEASE PASS IT OVER HERE!
I stumbled across this recipe from A Table for Two and I just had to try it as the chocolate cravings were stabbing me in head! You have to try this! Mix it up, add more stuff, I used chocolate and peanut butter chips!
- 1/4 cup AP flour
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp white sugar (I added an extra tsp)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp hazelnut chocolate spread
- Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl
- Mix in oil and milk until batter is smooth with no lumps
- Pour into a microwave safe mug with enough space for the cake to rise without pouring over
- Drop chocolate spread or chips or whatever floats your boat in the middle, no need to push it down.
- Put a paper towel in the microwave and place mug on top of paper. Microwave on high for 70 seconds.
And that’s it folks! Warm, moist chocolate cake in under 5 mins! Your tummy will thank you! 😀
Chocolate chip cookie brownies in the middle of the day? Yeah… that’s how I roll … and that’s also why my jeans don’t fit… but I don’t care! Who needs pants anyway!
I would like to thank the lovely people at Betty Crocker for creating this marvellous invention! You make my afternoon chocolate cravings so much better! 🙂